Saturday 25 August 2012

Modern Shakespeare

Taking strength from my previous idea, and the research recently done on the online contribution of the younger generation to reinterpret, I tried my own version of a Shakespeare character. I use a specific monologue as inspiration and make it my own, trying to use my own life experiences to fuel the 'conversation' as it were. I guess there is possibly an element of avoiding the issue of location with this basic spin of the idea as it is completely based online and works through social networking and recognition and sharing with the younger audience through these mediums.

Here is me being Juliet (apologies for the acting!), using a piece of the monologue from the balcony scene:


The full Shakespearian monologue is thus:

'Tis but thy name that is my enemy;
Thou art thyself, though not a Montague.
What's Montague? it is nor hand, nor foot,
Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part
Belonging to a man. O, be some other name!
What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;
So Romeo would, were he not Romeo call'd,
Retain that dear perfection which he owes
Without that title. Romeo, doff thy name,
And for that name which is no part of thee
Take all myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment