Thursday 13 September 2012

Tutorial/ Seminar 11.09.12

I had two different reviews on my work from each tutor.

David
- Location should be free for the projections, that's the point, so use anything you want.

- Go round and take photos of walls and places where you think they should be located.

- YOU NEED TO WORRY ABOUT THE CONTENT. Figure out what you are going to be projecting and showing to people.

- Make some visual tests of different ways you could shoot and compile these monologues.

Penny
- DROP THE PROJECTION. It's obvious it's getting in the way and it's not a factor in the aim/idea anymore.

- If you do use projection, make sure it's because you definitely want to use it BUT you would have to start considering things like:
> How the sound will play a part,
> How people would stop to watch enough of the piece?
It would need to be a "performance" to make sure the audience watch them, so set each performance showing at a specific time. They could each be teasers to work towards a bigger production, event or show at the theatre involved.
This could get complicated!!

- The video diaries have potential. The way they have been re-written/ improved is great.

- Collect more characters from different people.

- LINK THEM ALL TOGETHER. With a brand, concept, event or company that is shown in each diary piece, which makes it clear their purpose with Shakespeare and their audience etc. This is where Graphic Design skills need to be used.


MY RESPONSE
Two different opinions suggesting different approaches. I like the idea of using projection, like David suggested, because it's what I've had in my head and could be visually more interesting. However, I understand what Penny is saying, and that I was compensating a lot to be able to use projection, even taking it out of my old research question because I could tell it lost its point. I liked the simplicity and effectiveness of the video diary approach, with being able to actively show the relation of Shakespeare's works to people I know, so could follow the strength of Penny's suggestion.

There is an element for both directions that Penny's suggestion works for, and that's the linking of each piece (acted monologue) together. I need to make this brand of concept to finish off the whole project. So if I were to end up projecting or showing these films outside, they will still need to finish with something that links them together.

With this in mind, I will consider Penny's suggestion, and worry about using the video diaries, and building on that content. THEN worry about the distribution of the pieces (projection, online, whatever).

No comments:

Post a Comment